Each year WES kicks off the school year with Orientation Day. This day allows for students to meet their homeroom teacher, see their new classroom, and greet their classmates. For parents, it is a day to pick up previously ordered PE clothing (located in the eldest child's classroom); receive an Orientation Day envelop (located in the youngest child's classroom) which contains the WES Directory, carpool sign, and other key information; and the chance to learn about and sign up for WES's enrichment programs, Extended Day, hot lunch program, volunteer opportunities, and more.
Key information about this year's Orientation Day:
- Tuesday, September 5, 2017
- Nursery, Transition, and Kindergarten is from 8:30–9:30 a.m.
- HALF DAY for Grades 1-8 from 8:30 a.m.–Noon
- On the evening of Monday, September 4, you will receive an email announcing your children's homeroom teachers; please know that information for Orientation Day.
- Orientation Day is a "free dress" day; students wear causal clothes (not uniforms). Students will need to be in uniforms beginning Wednesday, September 6.
- This is not an Open House; students should be in the classrooms by the designated times and for the entire time scheduled.
- Grade 1-8 students should have their school supplies on Orientation Day and be prepared for a half day of school. Students will leave prior to lunch.
- All parents and guardians are asked to park, walk their children to their classrooms, and then visit The Deighton Alleyne Gymnasium.
- *NEW FAMILIES* please park and walk your child to The Deighton Alleyne Gymnasium. A Grade 8 student will guide you and your children to the appropriate classrooms.
- NURSERY, TRANSITION, AND KINDERGARTEN parents please pick up students at 9:25 a.m. from their classrooms.
- GRADE 1-8 parents will leave WES after dropping off their children and visiting The Deighton Alleyne Gymnasium. Parents and guardians will pick up students at noon via the formal WES carpool—you will receive your carpool sign that morning in the Orientation Day envelop. Please be sure to have that sign at carpool.
- *NEW GRADE 3-8 FAMILIES* there will be a scavenger hunt from noon to 1:30 p.m. for new students. Please park and pick your children up in The Deighton Alleyne Gymnasium at 1:30 p.m. Lunch will be served to these students.
- THERE ARE NO AFTER-SCHOOL ENRICHMENT PROGRAMS AND NO EXTENDED DAY.
After dropping off your child, parents are asked to go to The Deighton Alleyne Gymnasium to meet several faculty members and program leaders. Head of School Danny Vogelman will be making remarks at 8:45 a.m. Feel free to bring siblings to Orientation Day; please keep them with you during your time at school.
In the gymnasium there will be information tables for the following areas and opportunities:
- Band and Chorus – Ms. Moscati and Mr. Valenzia will answer questions about scheduling and instrument selection.
- Extended Day – Ms. Jarrouj will be able to answer your questions about the Extended Day program. If you would like to see the Extended Day room, a member of her staff will be available.
- Foreign Language – Mme. Hassanzadeh and Sra. Luna will answer your questions regarding the foreign language program in Nursery to Grade 5.
- Health Issues – Nurse Stacey Bailey will receive student medications as well as answer questions about health forms and immunizations. Please remember that your child cannot begin school without completed health forms.
- Hot Lunch – Mrs. Karam will confirm the number of days your child is signed up for hot lunch and show you how to sign up for Hot Lunch if you have not already done so.
- Media Services – Stop by to learn more about how to access the Parent Portal, the WES website, and the on-line library with Mrs. Connolly and Mr. Pané.
PE/Sports – Mr. Isola will discuss Sports/Physical Education/WESQwest programs.
- Board of Trustees, Parents Association, and Auction – Representatives will be on hand to present their plans for the year and explain volunteer opportunities.
- Before and After-School Enrichment – Ms. Lennon will provide information about the first term's program and enrollment process.
Please visit our school store, the Dragon's Den, to purchase sportswear and school supplies. Also, the Used Uniform Shop will be open to purchase uniforms on the second floor. The Used Uniform Shop is an excellent source for this year's uniform needs at a deep discount.
The first full day of school will be Wednesday, September 6. Extended Day and Study Hall will also begin after school on September 6. Extended Day is available until 6:00 p.m. The After-School Enrichment Program will begin the week of September 11—more information to come shortly.
Contact Wendy Connolly, Administrative Assistant to the Head of School, with any questions about Orientation Day at email@example.com or at 301-652-7878 ext. 206.