Working at WES
WES seeks individuals who are committed to outstanding teaching and enjoy working in a community of active learners to join our staff. Qualifications include a professional background in the discipline you wish to teach, experience teaching or working with students in other capacities, excellent communication skills, both written and oral, flexibility, the ability to work with colleagues, and a sense of humor.
We offer competitive compensation and excellent benefits including
- Health insurance
- Payment to a TIAA-CREF retirement annuity
- Funding for professional development
- Tuition remission for the children of faculty and staff
Current Job Openings
A list of current openings follows. Please direct all inquiries to the URL or the contact person listed. If no current positions are available, you are welcome to submit your resume and cover letter to be put on file.
Associate Pre-Kindergarten Teacher
WES is seeking a full-time early childhood associate teacher for a pre-kindergarten class beginning in the fall of 2019. The associate teacher is a professional partner of Washington Episcopal’s early childhood staff, typically joining the faculty for a one to two-year appointment as a salaried full-time employee. The associate teacher is responsible for assisting the classroom lead teacher with the general supervision and management of the class. The lead teacher delegates responsibilities and mentors the associate teacher in order to promote a two-teacher classroom.
Qualified candidates will possess a Bachelor’s degree, preferably in early childhood or elementary education and will have demonstrated a successful experience working with the young child
To apply for this position, please click on this link or copy and paste it into your browser:
Washington Episcopal School seeks a Controller to begin July 1, 2019.
Education and Experience:
The ideal candidate will be a CPA with a bachelor’s degree in accounting with a minimum of 5-7 years’ expertise in non-profit accounting, including managerial experience with a proven record of mentoring and developing staff, ideally in an independent school or higher education setting. This position requires strong organization, written and verbal communication, and interpersonal skills. Strong proficiency with Excel, Office, and other computerized accounting systems is required (experience with Blackbaud Smart Tuition and QuickBooks preferred). Highest regard for confidentiality and exemplary ethical standards is necessary, as well as the ability to manage multiple tasks and projects under the pressure of deadlines.
- Supervise and assist with accounts payable, payroll, HR, student billing, and other accounting personnel in the Business Office.
- Ensure accurate and timely financial information and reporting, including all financial statements, cash and variance analyses, and dashboard reports.
- Review, post, and reconcile all cash, stock, and in-kind gifts with the Development Office.
- Ensure accurate and appropriate coding and/or approval of all revenue, expenditure and journal transactions to their appropriate accounts.
- Maintain accurate and appropriate general ledger chart of accounts.
- Provide support in the hiring, training, and review of accounting department staff.
- Communicate accounting policies to employees and ensure compliance with such policies.
- Actively stay current on new regulations in GAAP and relevant non-profit accounting issues.
- Maintain all general and permanent office files for the school.
- Provide support for the Finance Director at Finance Committee or other Board-related meetings.
- Plan and coordinate the annual financial audits including the annual school audit as well as the 403(b) plan audit with the Finance Director.
- Coordinate with the Finance Director to prepare the annual IRS Form 990 with outside accountants.
Surveys and Peer Reporting:
- Assist the Finance Director with all periodic surveys and compliance reports for various school industry organizations (e.g. NAIS, NBOA, AIMS, AISGW), as well as other internal and external information requests for financial data.
- Remain aware and current of private school industry trends and activities.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate with the Finance Director on the preparation, review and/or filing of forms, including, but not limited to, the annual IRS Form 5500’s for the School’s defined contribution and other benefit plans, quarterly sales and use tax filings, annual 1099 forms, charitable organization registration form, property tax exemption, Forms 940 and 941, and unclaimed property tax return.
- Prepare, reconcile, and report on construction activities and fixed assets, as necessary.
- Resolve any reporting issues with the IRS and other Federal and State regulatory agencies.
- Work with the Finance Director to analyze current processes and controls to ensure efficient business office operations and operational security.
To apply for this position, please click on this URL or copy and paste it into your browser:
Middle School Math Teacher
WES is seeking a full-time middle school math teacher. Appropriate candidates will feel comfortable teaching pre-algebra through geometry. A working knowledge of best practices in math instruction is beneficial, as is experience working with students with emerging math skills, as well as those who move at an advanced pace.
Successful candidates will possess the following:
- BA/BS degree in education or math areas
- Teaching credential and/or Master’s degree preferred
- Teaching experience of 3-5 years in independent schools preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- High energy level, creativity, positive attitude, and flexibility
- Ability to work collaboratively with other faculty to plan and implement curriculum
- Ability to foster critical thinking, problem solving, independence, and ethics in students
- Experience with integrating technology in the classroom including interactive whiteboards and laptops
- Ability to successfully develop and maintain positive relationships with students, colleagues, and school families
- Willingness to support the philosophy of the school
To apply for this position, click on this URL or copy and paste it into your browser:https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=0c2f3c9d-c117-4895-805d-28bd6884ee0f&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=325380&source=CC3&lang=en_US
Executive Assistant to the Head of School
Washington Episcopal School is seeking an experienced, full-time executive assistant to the head of school. The executive assistant to the head supports the head’s daily operation of the school, short and long-term goals, and institutional projects. The executive assistant to the head is accessible, approachable, and welcoming, managing confidential situations with discretion, sound judgment, respect, and sensitivity.
Responsibilities of the position:
- Injects positivity into all facets of the school culture
- Acts as liaison for the head of school with the school community
- Schedules calendars for head of school, makes all meeting arrangements, and coordinates travel arrangements
- Reviews and prioritizes head of school’s mail and email. Screens and directs phone calls for the head of school.
- Maintains head of school’s office files
- Creates communications for the head of school
- Assists with main office functions and responsibilities
- Maintain family, faculty, and various other databases
- Drafts letters for signature based on notes or other direction given
- Supervises the substitute teacher system
- Organizes and facilitates celebrations and events
- Perform other duties as requested by the head
- Prepares and edits various school documents and handbooks
- Assumes responsibility for special research and other projects for the head
- Supports the school and its leadership
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Communication, Management, or a related field or a combination of degree and professional experience equivalent to the same
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of office management systems and procedures
- Advanced computer skills
- Established competency in dealing with multiple constituencies
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multitask in a fast paced environment
- Customer service focus and an unflappable positive demeanor
To apply for this position, click on this URL or copy and paste it into your browser:
WES has immediate openings for substitute teachers in Nursery through Grade 8. Qualified candidates will possess a Bachelor’s degree and teaching experience is required. Work with the Responsive Classroom approach is a plus.
To apply for this position, please click this link or copy and paste it into your browser:
Washington Episcopal School is welcoming and provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or disability.