The Qualities of a Great Teacher
A great teacher can change a child’s life. Whether it’s the first educator who makes learning come alive or one who empowers and builds confidence, a teacher is critical in helping students unlock their potential.
At Washington Episcopal School (WES), we value great teachers. Research shows that exceptional educators share the following characteristics:
- Great teachers build strong relationships with their students. They take time to notice and know them as individuals. They identify children’s strengths, passions, and interests and leverage them to help students gain new skills.
- Great teachers inspire children to be the best versions of themselves. They set high expectations and establish dynamic and achievable goals that challenge each child.
- Great teachers create a welcoming and inclusive classroom community. They are aware of and celebrate cultural and ethnic diversity. They use responsive language, engage all children in classroom activities, and develop independence and collaboration.
- Great teachers are learners. They invest in deep content knowledge and strong pedagogical skills. They use research-informed practices and reflect on their methods.
- Great teachers partner with parents. Great teachers understand that learning doesn’t stop at the end of the school day. They take time to communicate learning and achievement on a consistent basis.
- Great teachers love their students. At WES, this is the most important quality we look for when hiring new teachers. Great teachers are deeply invested in their students’ success inside and outside the classroom. Because of this, former students visit great teachers and keep in touch long after they have graduated. Their students know they genuinely care about their lives.
We are really proud of our passionate and dedicated faculty. If you are considering an independent school experience, we invite you to come meet them for yourself at our in-person Open House on December 10 from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m.