FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL
~ ORIENTATION DAY ~
Tuesday, September 3, 2019
Nursery Dragons: 8:30–9:30 a.m.
Nursery Knights: 10–11 a.m.
Transition and Kindergarten: 8:30–9:30 a.m.
Grades 1-8: HALF DAY, 8:30 a.m.–Noon
Each year WES kicks off the school year with Orientation Day which is the first day of school. This day allows for students to meet their homeroom teacher(s), see their new classroom, and greet their classmates.
For parents, it is a day to pick up previously ordered PE clothing (located in the eldest child's classroom); receive an Orientation Day envelope (located in your youngest child's classroom) which contains the WES Directory, carpool sign, and other key information; and learn about and sign up for WES's enrichment programs, Extended Day, hot lunch program, volunteer opportunities, and more.
After dropping off your child to their classroom, parents and guardians are asked to go to The Deighton Alleyne Gymnasium to meet several faculty members and program leaders. Head of School Danny Vogelman will be making remarks at 8:45 a.m. He will speak with Nursery Group Knights at 10:30 a.m. Feel free to bring siblings to Orientation Day; please keep them with you during your time at school.
In the gymnasium there will be information tables for the following areas and opportunities:
Band and Chorus – Ms. Moscati and Mr. Valenzia will answer questions about scheduling and instrument selection.
Extended Day – Ms. Borie will be able to answer your questions about the Extended Day program. If you would like to see the Extended Day room, a member of her staff will be available.
Foreign Language – Mme Hassanzadeh and Sra. O'Kon will answer your questions regarding the foreign language program in Nursery to Grade 5.
Health Issues – Nurse Bailey will receive student medications as well as answer questions about health forms and immunizations. Please remember that your child cannot begin school without completed health forms.
Hot Lunch – Mrs. Karam will confirm the number of days your child is signed up for Hot Lunch and show you how to sign up for Hot Lunch if you have not already done so.
Media Services – Stop by to learn more about how to access the Parent Portal, the WES website, and the on-line library with Mrs. Connolly and Mr. Pané.
PE/Sports – Mr. Isola will discuss Sports/Physical Education/WESQwest programs.
Board of Trustees, Parents Association, and Auction – Representatives will be on hand to present their plans for the year and explain volunteer opportunities.
Before and After-School Enrichment – Ms. Lennon will provide information about the first term's program and enrollment process.
Please visit our school store, the Dragon's Den, to purchase sportswear and school supplies. Also, the Used Uniform Shop, located on the second floor, will be open to purchase uniforms. The Used Uniform Shop is an excellent source for this year's uniform needs at a deep discount.
Contact Wendy Connolly, Administrative Assistant to the Head of School, with any questions about Orientation Day at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 301-652-7878 ext. 206.
Key information about this year's Orientation Day:
• On the evening of Monday, September 3, you will receive an email with the link to the Parent Portal. Parents and guardians will need to log onto the Parent Portal to view their child(ren)'s homeroom teacher(s) and/or schedule; please know that information upon arriving at WES for Orientation Day. See information below about the NEW WES Parent Portal.
• Students will need to be in uniforms on Orientation Day, Tuesday, September 4.
• This is not an Open House; students should be in the classrooms by the designated times and for the entire time scheduled.
• Grades 1-8 students should have their school supplies on Orientation Day, be in daily wear uniform, and be prepared for a half day of school. Students will leave prior to lunch.
• All parents and guardians are asked to park in a designated parking spot, walk their children to their classrooms, and then visit The Deighton Alleyne Gymnasium.
• ALL NEW FAMILIES: Please park and walk your child to The Deighton Alleyne Gymnasium. A Grade 8 student will guide you and your children to the appropriate classroom(s).
• NEW GRADES 3-8 FAMILIES: There will be a scavenger hunt from noon to 1:30 p.m. for new students. Please park and pick your children up in The Deighton Alleyne Gymnasium at that time. Lunch will be served to students participating in the scavenger hunt. RSVP to Associate Director of Admissions at email@example.com.
• NURSERY FAMILIES: Please pick up students at the appropriate time for your pick up (9:30 or 11:00 a.m.).
• TRANSITION AND KINDERGARTEN FAMILIES: Please pick up students at 9:25 a.m. from their classrooms.
• GRADES 1-8 FAMILIES: Please leave WES after dropping off their children and visiting The Deighton Alleyne Gymnasium. Parents and guardians will pick up students at noon via the formal WES carpool—you will receive your carpool sign that morning in the Orientation Day envelope. Please be sure to have that sign at carpool.
• EXTENDED DAY
Due to popular demand, Extended Day on Orientation is near capacity and enrollment closed at 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, August 28. DROP-INS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED. As a reminder, families who enroll after August 24 will be charged $12 per hour per child. If you have signed up or will sign up, please know that lunch will not be provided. Please pack a lunch if your child will be staying until 3:30 p.m. When you come to pick up your child please park in a designated parking spot and go to the Extended Day room. Extended Day formally starts on Wednesday, September 5.
• THERE ARE NO BEFORE- OR AFTER-SCHOOL ENRICHMENT PROGRAMS until the second week of school.
We look forward to seeing everyone on
Tuesday, September 4!
NEW PARENT PORTAL
Many WES families have used WES's new Parent Portal for SmartTuition, Magnus Health, enrollment contracts, and report cards. We are excited to announce that all parent and guardian information will now be stored on this portal including general information like the WES's Student & Family Handbook and the A to Z guide, information about Parent Association (PA) and PA events, ways to support WES, and more.
To log into the new Portal, please bookmark the website link: https://w-e-s.myschoolapp.com/app/login#login. You may also find this link on WES's website via the "Parent" link at the top of the page, right-hand side. If you should have any problem logging into the system, the system will help you find and update your login information.
Once you log in at the top of the page you will find the following important tabs:
This will enable you to click on your child(ren)'s profile to see his/her specific information including their attendance, schedule, and report cards. This is where you will be directed to view YOUR CHILD(REN)'S 2018-2019 HOMEROOM AND SCHOOL SCHEDULE in the email sent the day before school starts.
This tab will provide you links to general WES information ranging from WES's Major Date Calendar to the WES Annual Fund. It is one stop shop to find out all you need to know about WES.
This link will send you to the online WES event and activity calendar for the year. This calendar includes WES's athletic schedule.
Please familiarize yourself with this great resource, especially before September 3 when individual student homerooms and schedules will be posted on the Child(ren)'s tab towards the bottom of the page. You will be asked to view the page prior to coming to campus on September 4 so that you know which classroom to drop off your child on the first day of school. WES will be closed on September 3 and will not be able to provide you assistance to view the information.
If you have any questions, please contact the WES Main Office at 301-652-7878 who will direct your call to the appropriate party.